Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Today's WTF...PT.2


This was an the actual message on an actual church sign here in Memphis, Tn. Needless to say, this a controversial "church" (cult), with controversial "leadership" (cult leader). At the New Olivet Baptist Church, they believe in non traditional forms of alter call adn prayer. They blow kisses at the Lord for example. The pastors name is Rev. Dr.Kenneth Whalum. He is an interesting character with very interesting beliefs very devout followers (who have clearly drank the kool-aid). Read the following and let me know if its just me, or if this man and his "parishioners" are with the sh*t.
__________________________________
News Lesbian Couple Expelled From Kenneth Whalum's Church
Posted by Bianca Phillips on Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM
In an effort to learn more about mayoral candidate Kenneth Whalum, Yas Meen and Monique Stevens visited the reverend's New Olivet Baptist Church Sunday morning. But they claim the experience resulted verbal attacks and expulsion from the church.
"I had been having political debates with my partner about who to vote for for mayor. I said Whalum was the man to vote for, and she was going for Herenton," Meen says. "We decided to go to [Whalum's] church to see what he was all about."
Meen says many in the congregation were giving them dirty looks as soon as they sat down. But she says the real trouble started when the women — who are both agnostic — opted out of a "sanctified dance" that supposedly involved congregants dancing in the aisles, laying on the floor to pray, and blowing kisses to God.
"People were telling us we needed to blow kisses, and I said, I don't communicate with my higher power like that," says Meen, who admitted to feeling uncomfortable with New Olivet's unique style of worship. She said Whalum directly called them out for not participating.
Later, when Stevens placed her arm around Meen, the women claim a security guard asked the two to leave the church. He said he'd already called the police. The women allege that a group of about 25 young men pushed them out of the church while others taunted them with calls of "demon" and "devil worshipper." Stevens' glasses were broken and she suffered scratches and bruises.
"I was there to support him as mayor, but he won't be getting my vote now," Meen says. "If he's going to act like that in church, how will he act in front of [the citizens of Memphis]?"
Whalum was not immediately available for comment, but if he does return Flyer phone calls, we'll be certain to update the story at that time.
According to the New Olivet's website, the church offers "compassion and refuge, reaching out to a lost and hurting world that needs salvation and purpose."
_________________________________________________________________
I'm from Memphis, Tn. Everyone here who is isnt a member of New Olivet knows that this is not the church you go to for questions, this is the chuch you go to for theatrics and a Pastor with illusions of granduer. Ok, fine. Dont put ya hands on me. Period. These folks were there because they thought he might be a good candidate for mayor. Umm, yeah, no beauno. A lot of us vote, ya kow. This is a local election. One that is not at all concerned with GLBT issues. Whalum just put himself in the line of fire. Not because he heads a unique church and not because he thinks (or wants to believe) that he's the Jay-Z of the pullpit, but because of what he, as a "Christian"man, sat back and allowed to happen. Its very simple.
"Jesus said bring me that ass", alright. He'll have yours on a plate one day...Pastor.
Good Day, Candidate.
*STAR*
Found at memphisflyer.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every true believer of the Word know that homosexuality is a sin against God, but they should've showed more compassion and prayed for the couple that the Lord shows them the way instead of turning it into a debacle like that. As for the picture, they know they wrong for that.

SISTAH STAR said...

Anonymous, I find it interesting that you are even here on my site. I am publishing your comment because it appears you have some sense. Believe what you will, but think about what a mass generalization is. You need to pray just as much as the rest of us. Thanks for the comment.

Minu L. Nianda said...

No problem, I stumbled across your blog when someone posted your photo on Facebook. I'm putting your blog in my Google Reader so I can stay connected to it. Keep writing. (Anonymous)

*SISTAHSTAR*

My photo
I could rant and rave about me all day. I am one of my favorite subjects. Soon I'll be one of yours too.
Powered By Blogger

COPYWRITTEN, SO DONT COPY ME...